Worthing Public Realm
Delivery Body: Worthing Borough Council
Coast to Capital LGF Allocation: £697,000
Match Funding Contribution: £2,254,178.06
Project Status: Delivering
Summary of Project:
The Worthing Public Realm Improvement programme provides a significant opportunity to revitalise the public spaces through a people-centred design approach.
The Portland Road scheme is being led by WBC and supported by WSCC though an agreement of collaboration. The Portland Road scheme (and schemes thereafter) have a number of social and economic benefits:
● Establishing new destinations and arrival zones
● Alignment and enhancement of routes to create town centre circuits
● Ability to design inclusive and welcoming spaces
● Improves and enhances sustainable travel options
● Responds to key stakeholders through direct consultation
Work has already been undertaken on Portland Road, including a concept design and technical studies. This design has been informed by the Public Realm Board, town centre stakeholders, as well as the affected businesses in Portland Road.
LGF monies will be spent during 20/21 in the support of project management and design fees, surveys, statutory diversions and during stage 1 of a two stage procurement process.
- Jobs – 1,000
- Commercial Floor Space – 34000 sqm
- Resurfacing of road Length- 0.15km
- Area of site reclaimed – 2,250 sqm