Our region is a diverse one, in every sense - geographically, economically, socially, demographically. We regard this as a major asset. When we bring people together, and work inclusively to make the most of their potential, we achieve our best.
The business case for equality, diversity and inclusion in the workplace is overwhelming and evidence shows that diversity brings many advantages to an organisation including increased profitability and creativity, stronger governance and better problem-solving abilities.
We believe that having a more diverse Board and workforce will bring new experience, skills and knowledge which will benefit both us as an organisation and the businesses we support. It will also impact positively on the programmes, initiatives and projects we deliver across the Coast to Capital and ultimately drive greater economic growth. It is not just the right thing to do, it also makes good business sense.
For Coast to Capital:
- Equality is enabling opportunity, access, participation and contribution on a fair and equal footing and ensuring that different groups do not experience barriers when accessing our services, programmes, funding and employment.
- Diversity is about the individual, understanding that each of us is different and making sure we respect and celebrate the variety of backgrounds, perspectives, values, and beliefs.
- Inclusion is about embracing those differences and leveraging the power of difference.
Coast to Capital has pledged to go further than just ensuring we are fair and inclusive as an employer, provider of services and funder. This means recognising the impact of privilege, removing barriers and ensuring opportunities are open to all - recognising that everyone has the right to live a life free from discrimination.
As part of this commitment we have pledged to:
- Produce an Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy to include actions to meet our anti-racist commitment.
- Focus on positive action and support for ethnic minority led businesses through our funds, programmes and services.
- Work collectively to challenge ourselves and our partners and stakeholders to improve diversity and eradicate racism in our organisations.
- Report on progress on these commitments to the Board annually.
Investing in Women Code
Our organisation is a proud signatory to the Investing in Women Code, and commits to adopting internal practices that aim to improve female entrepreneurs’ access to the tools, resources and finance they need to grow their businesses.