- The Coast to Capital region needs significant long-term rail investment to support a growing regional economy and maintain its competitive advantage
- Addressing this strategic issue will protect both the economic potential of the region and the significant contribution that it makes to London’s economy
- Network Rail has identified the Brighton Mainline as the single top priority for investment in the region and there is a strong business case for investment
- Proposed upgrades include enhancements to the Windmill Bridge Junction and a major redevelopment of East Croydon Station
- Unlocking this bottleneck will enhance capacity, connectivity and resilience, driving growth and productivity throughout the region. This is vital for links to London, as well as international connectivity.
In July, Coast to Capital hosted an ‘Unlocking the Brighton Mainline’ roundtable in the House of Commons which was attended by MPs from across the region. Attendees supported the call for investment to drive growth and productivity across the whole region.
Coast to Capital is bringing together businesses, education representatives and politicians from across the region to make the strongest possible case to Ministers in order to prioritise investment in this vital piece of regional infrastructure.