Economic Impact Dashboard
Our Economic Impact Dashboard is a companion to the full Coast to Capital Coronavirus (COVID-19) Economic Impact Assessment (EIA), which can be found here.
The dashboard presents a summary of key impact indicators and has been updated to incorporate data up to March 2022. However, in some cases, March 2022 data was not yet available for some datasets.
- Estimates suggest our gross value added (GVA) could have declined by up to 12% in 2020, compared to a 9.9% contraction in the UK
- New company registrations increased by 43% between December 2021 and January 2022
- Company insolvencies in January 2022 were 24% lower than in the same month in 2021 but 10% higher than January 2020
- Unemployment in Coast to Capital remained stable at 3.5% between Oct – Dec 2021, the same rate as the previous quarter and 1 percentage point below the national rate of 4.5%
- The Claimant rate in Coast to Capital followed the national trend and declined by 0.1 percentage point to 3.8% between February and March 2022. This rate is 1.5 percentage points lower than the England rate of 5.3%
- Postings followed the national trend and increased by 42% between January and March 2022, compared to a 36% increase for England.
Key indicators will be monitored on a quarterly basis and future updates will be published on this page.
Previous dashboards can be found through the below links:
Skills and Labour Market Impact Assessments
We have produced three reports assessing the impact of COVID-19 on skills and employment in the region. These are available in the related resources section of this page. As of August 2021, future Labour Market Impact Assessments will be incorporated into the quarterly Economic Impact Dashboards.
Other COVID-19 impact research
Several of our partners across the region have also undertaken local research into the impact of COVID-19:
- Gatwick Diamond Initiative - COVID-19 impact assessment
- Coastal West Sussex Partnership - COVID-19 impact assessment
- Greater Brighton Economic Board - COVID-19 impact assessment
- West Sussex County Council - Economy Snapshot
To follow our work on economic recovery planning please subscribe to the Coast to Capital newsletter