We believe we are uniquely placed to add value on the Government's high level priorities such as addressing the skills gap, making effective infrastructure investments to support economic growth and delivering sufficient houses and business space to support the economy. Raising the profile of our region on the national stage will increase awareness of the opportunities for investment that Coast to Capital offers.
What we do
We use the knowledge of our Board to engage with government on unlocking growth at local level. We provide effective leadership in this area to support local authorities and contribute fully to ongoing devolution discussions. Our contribution to the debate will be firmly rooted in our experience in delivering our local strategies for transport, infrastructure, skills and business competitiveness and our understanding of what the economy and business needs.
Strategic Leadership priorities in 2016/17
The current priorities on which we intend to influence the debates at national level are:
1. Making the most of the economic opportunities that Gatwick brings and advocating the wider economic benefits it brings to our region.
2. Developing a clear LEP position on the opportunities to increase housing and regeneration in our area, based on informed engagement with senior business figures in our region.
3. Putting the case for greater investment in first class transport and infrastructure for our region; including strong engagement in road and rail infrastructure decisions.
4. Capitalising on the benefits of devolution for Coast to Capital's economy.
5. Refreshing our SEP to align with the development of the Government's industrial strategy, and in light of current economic drivers, BREXIT and the decision on south east airport capacity.
6. Driving improvements in education and skills and assessing how implementation of the recommendations of the area reviews of further education are contributing to improvements in local economic performance.